|RELIEF GOODS. President Aquino distributes relief goods in Sta. Rosa, Nueva Ecija as Vice President Jejomar Binay (below) discuss relief operations with leaders in Pampanga.
BAGUIO CITY – Typhoon Lando swept Northern Luzon and Central Luzon with strong winds and heavy rains during the past few days, causing floods and landslides and disrupting power, communications and air, land and sea transportation resulting to the death of at least 58 people and displacing some 300,000 people.
Damage to property, including agricultural crops and infrastructures, was initially placed at P7 billion.
Sixteen of the 58 killed were in Pangasinan alone.
The cyclone made landfall over Aurora province early Sunday and was forecast to remain within the Philippine Area of Responsibility until October 25, Sunday as it weakened into a tropical depression.
As a result of the damage and widespread floodings, officials declared many areas under state of calamity like Nueva Ecija, Pangasinan, Isabela, Aurora, Cagayan.
The number of fatalities and those injured may still rise as the typhoon, the second strong howler to hit the country this year, continues to linger over the Ilocos region and pummel other parts of Luzon.
President Aquino, accompanied by some Cabinet members, and Vice President Jejomar Binay fanned out into the different areas, inspected the damage and distributed relief goods and seedlings.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported the fatalities and injured were from Nueva Vizcaya, Aurora, Tarlac, Nueva Ecija, Pangasinan, Mt. Province, Benguet, Cagayan, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, Isabela, Zambales and Metro Manila. In Quezon City, two people were killed when hit by a tree toppled due to strong winds. In Laguna Lake, a fisherman in Mabitac town drowned due to strong waves..
Binay visited flooded towns in Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, and Bulacan on Wednesday as his office continued to provide relief and other assistance to families displaced by typhoon Lando.
Binay visited San Simon, Candaba, and Arayat in Pampanga; Cabiao, San Isidro, and Gapan in Nueva Ecija; San Miguel, and San Ildefonso in Bulacan.
He talked with local leaders to know the needs of the affected residents and what assistance his office could give them. Aside from relief goods, local officials requested hybrid rice seedlings from the Vice President to replace damaged crops.
The Vice President said his office will provide relief goods and seedlings.
So far, the Office of the Vice President (OVP) has delivered 9,500 packs of relief goods in Nueva Ecija, 5,000 in Isabela, 4,600 in Bulacan, 2,400 in Pampanga, 4,500 in Pangasinan, 3,200 in Tarlac, 3,000 in Quirino, 3,000 in Nueva Vizcaya, and 5,000 in Aurora.
According to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, Typhoon Lando has claimed 58 lives and inflicted around P6 million-worth of damage to the agriculture sector.
On Tuesday, Binay visited the towns of Gerona and Pura in Tarlac; and Guimba, Cabanatuan City, Bongabon, and Licab in Nueva Ecija. He is scheduled to go to Isabela, his mother’s home province, on Thursday.
The Central Luzon Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Mangement Council (RDRRMC 3) reported that Benita Farmanilay, 62, of Barangay Asinan, Subic, Zambales died of head injuries after a wall collapsed on her while her husband, Gregorio suffered minor injuries and was brought to hospital.
Sixteen persons were confirmed dead and three others injured when typhoon “Lando” pounded Pangasinan with powerful winds starting early dawn of Saturday, the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) said.
Among the fatalities in Pangasinan were identified as Mauro Nuerong, 75, of Barangay Pampano, Mangatarem, who died when a santol tree fell and crashed his house; Regina Sabangan, 85, of Bongato, Bayambang, who slipped off the floor inside his house and died on arrival at the Bayambang District Hospital; and one-year old Jan Kerby Capina of Barangay Ilog, Malino, Bolinao, who was pinned down by a mango tree which fell on their house.
Residents of flooded farming villages in those areas were seen on television trapped on their rooftops and animals floated down the swollen rivers.
NDRMMC spokesperson Romina Marasigan added that seven people have been confirmed injured.
She said that as of Tuesday, a total of 60,170 families or 290,797 people were displaced in Regions 1, 2, 3, 4-A, Bicol, National Capital Region and Cordillera Administrative Region.
Of said number, 15,603 families or 70,503 people are staying in 376 evacuation centers in the seven regions while 27,142 families or 132,621 people are outside evacuation centers..
The agency recorded 74 incidents — 72 incidents of flooding in the provinces of Pangasinan, Isabela, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, Bulacan, Zambales and Pampanga; collapsed wall in Zambales; and toppled trees were monitored in Regions 1, 2, 3 and National Capital Region (NCR).
A total of 36 roads sections and 18 bridges were rendered unpassable due to flooding and landslides in Regions 2, 3, 5 and CAR.
Power interruptions/outages were reported in three cities and 65 municipalities in Regions 1, 2, 3, 4-A, 4-B and Cordillera Administrative Region; while province-wide power outages were reported in Pangasinan, Quirino, Nueva Vizcaya, Aurora, Apayao and Kalinga.
As of October 18, power supply has been restored in five cities and 48 municipalities in Ilocos Norte, Pangasinan, La Union, Cagayan, Isabela, Nueva Ecija, Zambales, Tarlac, Laguna and Benguet.
A total of 5,011 passenger, 61 vessels, 55 motorized bancas, 215 rolling cargoes are stranded due to rough sea condition caused by severe tropical storm Lando.
Damage to property stood at P4,651,444,662.70 in agriculture (rice, high value cash crops and fisheries in the provinces of Aurora, Bataan, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga and Tarlac.
Total cost of government assistance for the affected families has reached P2,176,345 worth of relief goods provided to affected families in Regions 1,2, 3 and 5.
School classes were suspended in many areas in Luzon, including Metro Manila and Southern Tagalog.