Popular television host, actor and singer Willie Revillame is making good again in his new daily television show on his new home, the GMA Network.
But just as his legions of fans, supporters as well as advertisers are back into his fold and he continues his public service ways, “an unfortunate” part of his show in 2011 in another channel is about to come to trial.
This as the Court of Appeals ruled with finality to allow the Quezon City Regional Trial Court to try television host for alleged child abuse and exploitation raps filed against him in 2011.
His lawyer Leonard S. de Vera, who used to practice in California, declared earlier that they will face the case.
“Upon the finding of probable cause by the regional trial court of Quezon City Branch 86, Mr. Revillame sought and was immediately granted bail in the amount of P80,000 in September 4, 2013 or more than two years ago,” he said.
De Vera explained that, as part of his client’s right, Willie appealed the case to the Court of Appeals (CA).
De Vera also said that Willie is innocent until proven guilty, and there is no evidence that he is guilty of the charges against him.
The CA Thirteenth Division junked the motion for reconsideration filed by Revillame, who sought to overturn the appellate court’s September 7, 2015 decision.
The CA earlier upheld the Quezon City Regional Trial Court’s decision by Judge Roberto Buenaventura that found prima facie evidence against Revillame and which ordered his arrest on October 4, 2013.
In a three-page resolution penned by Associate Justice Maria Luisa Quijano-Padilla, the CA division denied the appeal filed by Revillame for “lack of merit.”
The CA pointed out that no new arguments were presented to warrant the reversal of its earlier findings, according to published reports include those of GMA Network itself.
“We have carefully reviewed our decision vis-a-vis the Motion for Reconsideration and we have found that the issues raised in the present motion and the arguments advanced in support thereof are mere rehash of those already considered and passed upon, and no new issue or substantial argument has been presented to justify the reversal or modification of the assailed decision,” the resolution stated.
The CA opined that the lower court “committed no grave abuse of discretion in finding probable cause indicting petitioner of Violation of RA No. 7610, there being a showing that respondent judge personally evaluated the factual circumstances that led him to believe that there was probable cause to apprehend petitioner for its commission of the offense charged.”
The appeals court argued that the lower court did not arbitrarily issue the warrant of arrest against Revillame as it was issued after his personal evaluation of the factual circumstances that led him to believe that there was probable cause to apprehend petitioner for his commission of a crime.
Revillame was charged with child abuse after a boy danced a sexy number while crying on national television in 2011.
The crowd, including the boy’s aunt, were seen laughing and clapping while the boy repeatedly danced to the tune of Dr. Dre’s “The Next Episode” on the video that went viral with millions of hits on YouTube.
The Movie and Television Review and Classification Board, then chaired by Senator Grace Poe, held that the episode showed immoral and indecent broadcast that ran against Filipino values.
“As there is probable cause for the petitioner’s commission of a crime, his arrest and arraignment should now ensue so that this case may properly proceed to trial, where the merits of both parties’ evidence and allegations may be weighed,” the CA ruled.